Teaching in LA next year!!!

Hey Everyone!

I have been accepted to Teach for America! I will be writing and sharing my experiences with you all as I learn new and exciting things in the world of teaching!

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Teaching

Teaching has been a passion of mine for about 3 years now! In college I majored in Psychology/Counseling. I really enjoyed my classes and thought God had me pursuing Counseling at the professional level. Sometimes what we think and God thinks are two very different things!

The summer of my Sophomore year of College I stayed in La Mirada so I could work and save for the next year. I happened to find roomates who were ALL teachers! One of them mentioned Subbing for the next 2 years because of my background in Counseling. Thus began my journey. I looked into subbing, interviewed, and went into my first classroom (sweating). I LOVED it... I got to impact kids in a way only few people (teachers) can ever fully comprehend. So I spent the next 2 years subbing. Then when I graduated I received the opportunity to teach as a long term sub at Corvallis Middle School! I was teaching 7th grade LA... The students at this school challenged me to be a better teacher, and better person. It was from this experience I came to understand and realize God had me teaching!

In November I began my journey of praying and thinking about a program called, "Teach for America." It took about 5 months of interviews, paper work, and patience. Finally... in March I found out I was accepted, and I would be teaching Special Education in Los Angeles!!!!

I will be going through 6 weeks of INTENSE training starting in June this summer... pending I pass my CSET in Social Studies... if I don't pass I will be starting June 2011... so please be praying about the test on May 8th! I am currently studying about 5 hours a day, and learning VERY interesting facts about History I never knew.

Thank you for embarking on this journey with me! Updates to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment