Teaching in LA next year!!!

Hey Everyone!

I have been accepted to Teach for America! I will be writing and sharing my experiences with you all as I learn new and exciting things in the world of teaching!

Monday, April 12, 2010

Electoral College

Ok... so today I studied the Electoral College. For some of you this may be a relatively easy concept to comprehend. For me, it poses a bit more of a challenge. I can still remember my Senior year of High School when this lovely voting concept was being taught to me and my very thought being, "This guy is talking and I'm pretty sure my brain is supposed to understand the words however, my brain is rejecting the words." So with that been said I thought hey 5 1/2 years later I would now understand it... hmmm I thought wrong. So after about a half hour of diligent reading and research, and 2 phone calls to a friend and husband who are passionate about History... I think I now have the concept. So this is MY understanding of the Electoral College for all of you who may not know what the crud that is. (Please note this is MY understanding)...

The Electoral College is the USA's standard of voting. So each state has a certain number of Electoral votes. California for example has 55. Each of those votes are split up into "districts." So, the popular votes are counted and put into one of the "districts" based on where you live. So La Mirada is in the (30th District). With that information I can deduce that my "popular vote" goes towards the 30th district in California. If my District decides to vote Republican then there will be 1 of 55 Republican "electoral votes" for California. If my District decides to vote Democratic then there will be 1 of 55 Democratic "electoral votes" for California. A Candidate wins a State by receiving the most "electoral votes" Whew... and there you go!

No comments:

Post a Comment